Sony has officially announced the PlayStation 4 during their highly-anticipated PlayStation meeting earlier today.
There’s a lot to sort through, so we’ve highlighted some of the key takeaways from the presentation which you’ll find below, starting off with the official tech specs for the PS4.
Be sure to catch some of the first in-game PS4 footage from titles like Gurrilla Games’ Killzone: Shadowfall, Evolution Studios’ Driveclub, and Bungie’s Destiny as well.
Without further ado, let us introduce you Sony’s PlayStation 4.
PlayStation 4 Technical Specifications
- Single-chip custom processor
- CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
- GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
- GDDR5 8GB
HARD DISK DRIVE
OPTICAL DRIVE (READ ONLY)
- BD 6xCAV
- DVD 8xCAV
- Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
- Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
- IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
- Analog-AV out
- Digital Output (optical)
The PlayStation 4′s hardware was not shown during the presentation.
DualShock 4 Controller
The DualShock 4 will sport the following:
- Enhanced Rumble
- Improved Latency
- A touchpad
- A share button
- A built in speaker
- A headphone jack
- A lightbar for Move-style motion control
- Ships with the Mono Headset
- Ships with the “PlayStation4 Eye”
- PlayStation Eye will allow users to log in using facial recognition
Sharing Functions and Gaikai
- Gakai is creating the “most powerful network for gaming in the world”
- Players can purchase games through the PlayStation Network, eventually including PS1, PS2, and PS3 titles
- A “share” button on the DualShock 4 controller can be used to capture video and images to share with friends
- Players can share through third-party devices and services like Facebook and Ustream
- Players can begin playing purchased games immediately as they download in the background
- Data captured about gamers allows the PlayStation 4 to “predict” future purchases, pre-installing the game before-hand
- Players can view live game footage of what friends are playing
PlayStation Vita Integration
- Will become the “ultimate companion device for the PS4.”
- Players can pause a game on their PlayStation 4 and transfer it to their PlayStation Vita using Remote Play, and vice-versa.
- Sonys goal is to make every PlayStation 4 title available on the PlayStation Vita.
- Deep Down
- Killzone: Shadowfall
- The Witness
- Infamous: Second Son
- Diablo III
- Watch Dogs